Every droplet matters. What can I do to conserve water?
WATER!!! A major necessity of the Ecosystem. Every organism in the world needs water. From tiny insects to an animal as large as an elephant, every life on Earth depends on water. A plant needs water to grow and stay fresh, a fish needs water as a place to live in. We human beings require water for our daily life. Our need of water may be different but the existence of the world relies on the amount of water available. Water is a very important substance which at the same time is scarce. Although we see a lot of water in the oceans around the continents, but the truth is we cannot consume all of this water. Only 3% of the World’s water is consumable. I know that 3% of water is too much for 1 organism, but it is nowhere near the amount of water needed by billions of organisms. Water is a finite commodity which, if not managed properly, will result in shortages in the near future. I think that water conservation can be our only hope to save our future.
Even the smallest of changes in our life style can save billions of organisms in the future. I know that conserving water is a big task which can only be handled by major companies, but we can still take some safety precautions to help save water. Following are some simple steps that I take so I can help in saving water.
- When my mother is in the kitchen and cooking something I ask her to use small pans as large pans may require more cooking water than necessary.
- When my mother wash fruits and vegetables I always give this water to my house plants.
- If accidentally I drop an ice cube, I never throw them in the sink. I drop them in a house plant instead.
- I always ask my father to check toilet leaks once a year.
- I always ask my mother to use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks and steps as using hose can waste lots of water.
- When I water my lawn, I water it long enough for water to seep down to the roots where it is needed. I think light sprinkling that sits on the surface will simply evaporate and be wasted.
- I always close the tap while brushing my teeth.
- I never play too much with water in the summer.
- Whenever I need to drink water, I make sure that I take enough water to hydrate me.
- If I leave water in the glass, I use it later.
- I always take small showers of 5 minutes maximum to save water.
- I never used a toilet to dispose waste which was designed to be in the dust bin – not the toilet.
Someone rightly said that, “If you think you’re just a drop in the ocean … look at the ripple effect one drop can make”.